Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that is effective in strengthening tooth enamel and preventing tooth decay. The substance can be particularly beneficial for individuals who are at a high risk of experiencing tooth decay.
Fluoride provides teeth with two major benefits:
- It enhances the strength and durability of teeth by attaching itself to tooth enamel
- It reverses the effects of tooth decay by remineralizing tooth enamel
There are many reasons for a person to consider supplemental fluoride applications, including:
- Sensitive or exposed root surfaces
- Deep grooves or fissures present on the teeth
- Poor oral hygiene practices
- Limited exposure to fluoride
- Excessive sugar intake
- Prior history of tooth decay
- Weak saliva flow
The process of receiving a supplemental fluoride application is quick and easy and can be completed in just one visit to our practice. After the procedure is finished, the patient must be sure to not eat or drink for at least one hour so that their teeth can fully absorb all of the fluoride.
Although fluoride applications can go a long way towards strengthening teeth, they should not serve as a replacement for proper oral hygiene habits. Even after receiving a supplemental fluoride application, a patient should continue regular brushing and flossing. It is also important to remember to receive a dental checkup twice per year.
If you would like to learn more about fluoride applications and how they can be used to strengthen your teeth, please call us at (972) 313-2002 to schedule an appointment.